Tell your friends about this site -

 

JANUARY 23 1863 : “The Pluto” began dredging the Shoalhaven River between the punt crossing at Bomaderry and Appletree Island (Greenwell Point). It kept to the task for 10 years!

MAY 1 1866 : The Government Ferry began operating across the Shoalhaven River from Nowra to Bomaderry. The approaches were washed away by tides and sometimes vehicles had to await the tide before they could cross. Each flood threw it out of action.

FEBRUARY 2 1867 : Shoalhaven’s first local paper was established by Charles Isaac Watson, entitled “The News, Shoalhaven”. On May 18th a sub-title, “Shoalhaven and Southern Districts Advertiser”, was added. On June 24th, 1871 it changed its title to “The Shoalhaven News, Ulladulla and Southern Coast Districts Advertiser” and, on October
13th 1873 changed its sub-title to “Broughton Creek, Kiama and Ulladulla Advertiser”. It was printed at Terara, the principal Shoalhaven town at the time.

OCTOBER 31 1867 : Thursday October 31st 1867 and the horse Tim Whiffler wins the Melbourne Cup. This was the third win for a Shoalhaven horse and three out of three for trainer Etienne De Mestre.

JANUARY 22 1869 : James Wilson, local businessman, was elected first Mayor of the Municipality of Berry.

JUNE 1 1870 : The Paddle Steamer “The Coolangatta” was refloated in the Shoalhaven River after it had been washed 75 yards inland by the floods of April 23rd-26th of the same year. She was released into the river at 9pm. The scene was lit by bonfires and tar barrels and was witnessed by a large crowd including scores of small boys.
The Coolangatta was recorded as the first tourist vessel to operate on the Shoalhaven River taking holiday excursions over the Christmas/New Year period of the same year. Fares for the day trip were 2 shillings for adults, children half price.

DECEMBER 26 1870 : The paddle steamer “The Coolangatta” ran its first tourist excursion on the Shoalhaven River. Fares were 2/- for adults and 1/- for children. The Coolangatta left Terara at 7.30am, calling at all wharfs along the way before reaching Greenwell point at 10.00am. The first leg of the excursion was to Picnic Bay, Crookhaven Heads where the picnicers enjoyed themselves until 6.00pm. The return journey featured singing and dancing before Terara came into view at 8.30pm.

SEPTEMBER 17 1873 : Alexander Berry died at his Crows Nest house, aged 92. He was Shoalhaven’s first and most influential settler.

JUNE 25 1877 : Opening of the original Telegraph Office, Broughton Creek (now Berry).

FEBRUARY 1 1879 : First edition of the second Nowra paper “The Telegraph & Shoalhaven Advertiser”, printed and published by Joseph Weston, it was organised by John MacLean as an opposition paper to C I Watson’s “Shoalhaven News”.

MAY 9 1879 : Direct communication between Broughton Creek (now Berry) with Sydney was established by the steamer “Our Own”.

JULY 5 1879 : Work began on the construction of the iron bridge over the Shoalhaven River at Nowra.

AUGUST 1 1881 : The bridge over the Shoalhaven River at Nowra was opened by Hon John Lackey MLA, Minister for Works, in the presence of 7,000 people. The bridge was constructed by the Edgemoor Iron Co of Delaware, USA and was the largest in NSW at the time. The whipple truss bridge has seven spans each 124 feet plus one 181 feet 6 inches,
total length including approaches is 1103 feet. It is 20 feet wide. The clearance above the roadway is 22 feet and
was intended to also carry rail traffic. The bridge was originally built high to allow for navigation and to be flood
free. It has never been covered by water. Its official name is the “Nowra Bridge”. It cost a total of £42,500.

JUNE 5 1888 : The last Aborigine of the Wodi Wodi tribe of Kangaroo Valley, Mrs Mary Maria Lindsay, died. With her death the 23,000 years (maybe 40,000 years) of Aborigine life in Kangaroo Valley came to an end. There is no grave for Mrs Lindsay in the Valley Cemetery.

JUNE 9 1888 : The first game of football was played in Nowra, between the local side and Broughton Creek (Berry) on the ground adjacent to the Imperial (Empire) Hotel. The entrance fee was 2/6 and the colours worn by Nowra were
yellow and purple with a black cap. Broughton Creek were red, white and blue. Nowra won 2-Nil (the following week Broughton Creek defeated Nowra 5-4).

DECEMBER 26 1888 : The Bowral cricket team visited Nowra for a game of cricket. Nowra scored 343. The visitors from the Highlands were bundled out for 20…

JUNE 2 1893 : The opening of the railway from north Kiama (now Bombo) to Shoalhaven by the Governor, Sir Robert Duff, who travelled on the first train as it drew into Bomaderry. One of the enterage, Railway commissioner Lyne said “He was afraid they would have to wait a little longer before it was extended……”. (We’re still waiting!) The cost of the project was £359,692.

AUGUST 16 1893 : Bomaderry was officially named with the re-opening of the Post Office (previously known as Bundbaderra – aboriginal for fighting ground, and previously spelt Bomadary).

< previous pagenext page >

Comments are closed.